Ok, Thanksgiving is over. It is now acceptable to talk about the winter holidays...Solstice, Christmas, Kwanzaa, which ever you prefer.
I will be making a few posts about this.
First, the greedy one.
My Top 10 Wish List!!! We all have one. This is by no means an expectation of gifts. But, it also never hurts to ask. :-)
It may also help you think of gifts for others.
1) Money. Crass? Maybe. But, I still have thousands of dollars in medical bills to pay...and that is after insurance. Money (and visa/ master card gift cards) are useful for a ton of things from bills to food to entertainment. Giving someone a gift like this doesn't mean you aren't thinking about them. It means you are empowering them to make their own choices.
2) Gift cards to Target, Petsmart: Ok, it is like cash. But it is more specific. It still allows for purchasing of thing that can be practical or whimsical.
3) Gift cards to Fandango/ Kerasotes, Netflix: Maybe the purely practical thing isn't your bag. Maybe you think that gift giving it so that people can have things they might not typically get for themselves. Maybe you think a gift is something that should be for fun and and not for practicality. Entertainment gift cards do just that while still letting the person get something they know they want.
4) An appointment for massage or acupuncture
. :Let's face it, life is stressful. The holidays even more so. I won't even start on all I have had to face this year or the reasons why the holidays are even more depressing than normal. (My regular readers are already aware of most of it anyway.) Giving someone the gift of health and relaxation is truly a beautiful thing.
5) Tiny Ornaments
. Ok this one is probably just me. See, a couple of years ago my mother got me a tiny pre-lit Christmas tree. (I think it is an 18" tree. ) I wasn't that excited about it at the time because I have never been that in to decorating for Christmas. Now, I want to. This is something that is important to my mother- keeping some feel of holiday joy
no matter what the circumstances- I see it a little differently now. I want to set up my tiny tree and decorate it with some tiny ornaments. And they don't have to be Christmas
themed. I used to have a couple
of packs of tiny resin Halloween
Ornaments. Sadly, they were all
lost over the years. :-(
6) the InStyler Rotating Hot Iron
. Yeah, I know, too much time with late night infomercials. But this product has gotten great reviews. And I think it would be a wonderful way to encourage me to embrace the much needed mantra of "Get up. Dress up. Show up." Yeah, it's expensive. But hey, they are doing a buy one get one free! Maybe you want one. Or you know someone else who wants one. Two gifts knocked out with one purchase.
7) Digital Camera
. This really is the kind of gift that keeps on giving. And who doesn't want memories from the holiday seasons (as well as the rest of life). As for me, I have had to pass up 3 different promo gigs in the past few months because I no longer have a digital camera. I don't need anything fancy. Just compact and functional.
8) Headshot Prints
. You all want to see my acting career become functional again, right? Headshots are essential. The Oracle has offered to take some new pictures for me so I can have something current and in color. But I gotta get things printed. Ok, so this is only a good gift for the actors and model-types that you know. But if you know any this is the PERFECT gift.
9) A telescopic shower head
. I had one of these before and it was amazing. It is so much better than a normal fixed shower head. I just...yeah. It is a good thing.
10) Bath bombs
. Lush is the maker of many fine bath bombs. I am sure there are others out there but for the money these are the best. Personally, I don't know anyone who couldn't use a little bit of pampering. Maybe there isn't alot of time and money for such things. But a long, hot, wonderfully aromatic bath can be a wonderful band-aid for so much of the stress.
And one to grow on:
11) These boots. Or one that look pretty much just like them. (black, lace up, low/ no heel, rounded toe...)
Size 7. :-)
Everyone should make an Amazon Wish list
. They cover lots of places and items. You don't have to feel compelled to shop there though. Don't forget you can find many of these items cheaper on ebay and other sites. The amazon list will at least let you know what people are looking for.
Later, posts about creative people and places, holiday fun times, travel plans and family stuff.
David was kind enough to point out that I had not let people know how they could get stuff to me if they so desired...
But, if one wanted to send me things- packages, holiday cards, random postcards, what ever- they can ask for my address and I will send it to them in a private message.
Or, if they prefer to deliver in person (but won't be visiting Chicago) they can see me when I come to Atlanta Dec. 11, 12 and maybe 13th. I'll be posting more later about my whereabouts and plans for that time frame.